Sunday, May 01, 2011

30 and Loving IT!

Last Monday I turned 30.  To be completely honest I hadn't really been looking forward to it.  I mean really...does anyone LOOK FORWARD to turning 30?  I thought about how I wouldn't be able to say I was in my 20's anymore as my older and wiser friends had already entered their 30's.  (I kinda liked that)!!!   I thought about the stigma that seemed to come with turning 30.  Plus, after 30 it's 40!!!

But as I reflected and thought about it leading up to the day of celebration I realized I had it all wrong.  Turning 30 was AMAZING.  It gave me a chance to reflect.  To think about all the things, people, places, I have done, met, and lived.   Several nights I just layed in bed thinking about my life.

I thought back to when I was 16, I had NO IDEA what was going on.   I thought back to starting college at BYU.  I thought I was so old and wise.  I thought back to making the decision to marry this blond blue eyed boy from Utah (I had sworn to NEVER marry a Utah boy).  I thought back to teaching 4th grade.  I thought back to delivering my first baby.  She ROCKED my world.  Let's be honest...she is still rocking my world.  I thought back to deciding with Ben to start Podiatry school.  Making the decision to move our small family of 3 thousands of miles away from family to live in IOWA.  When I would tell people we were moving they would say, "now WHERE is Iowa again?"  I remember being SO very scared and excited at the same time.  I thought back to having baby#2...Isaac.  Facing some of the struggles that come with student life, the ups and downs that it brings.  I thought back to discovering we were expecting baby #3.  Realizing our "perfect timing"...as Ben would be leaving a short 5 weeks later to start traveling all over the US doing rotations.  I remember watching him say goodbye to our three little babies knowing it would be weeks before he saw them again.  And then watching him pull out of the driveway and thinking to myself, "how will we ever survive this."  I thought back to discovering that we really were moving to Temple, Texas and the miracle that had occurred in our lives.  I remember sobbing for hours as we drove away from Des Moines, not certain that we would ever love a place and people more.

I thought about all the people that have entered my life.  From wonderful girlfriends growing up, BYU, Provo newly wed days, Iowa, Texas, etc.  I have been blessed to have wonderful people in my life.  People who I can't imagine not having met or known.  People who have helped and blessed me.  Friends who have shared the joy of welcoming my brand new babies home, and who have also been there as a support when I needed it.

My 30 years of life has not always been perfect, that's for sure.  As I look back though I can not help but see the blessings and wonderful opportunities that been opened in front of me.  If you would have asked me when I was 20 where did I see myself in 10 years, I am pretty sure that no stretch of my imagination would have placed me in Central Texas, 3 kids, and a husband in residency.  Isn't life amazing!

I am happy.  I am loved.  I am blessed.  I am grateful to be 30!
(thank you to all the wonderful texts, phone calls, messages, etc...I felt very special)

6 comments:

sarita said...

I love this post!!! Happy Happy Birthday, Becca!

When I was in my twenties I had an older friend tell me that you don't really discover who you are until you reach your thirties. I had know idea what she meant at the time, but I think I do now!

Welcome to the club!

Kelly said...

I'm pretty sure my 30th birthday was one of my all time favorites! I love this post. Although it reminded me just how much I missed you! I remember the first time I met you. It was at a park for play group and you had this very chuncky new baby boy!! Thanks for being such a great friend. I've been blessed to have you in my life.

Amber said...

I loved reading that Becca. I am 35 now and I am as happy as can be. (although I am not too excited about getting closer to 40!!)
So sad we never get to see you! :(

JenSwen said...

Becca, I am so sad that I didn't know it was your birthday! And such a big one too! Happy Belated 30th. You seem younger than 30 to me! Great post. I love your perspective on life.

Rachel Holloway said...

I loved your post! SOOOOO so true...and so well said. :) Completely thrilled you had a great birthday! :) YOU DESERVE IT!

shauni said...

I loved reading about your reflections on your life, it actually brought tears to my eyes. You are such a wonderful person and a great friend. I'm so glad I've gotten to be a part of your "30 years" and I am so glad that I have the opportunity to be one of your friends (but I'm NOT one of the really older ones, right??) So glad you had a good birthday.