Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mom

Happy Mother's Day

Being the mother of these three monkeys is no easy task.  But I love them with every fiber of my being.  This morning Natali walked into my room and we had the following conversation...
Natali: "mom...it's a specail day today!"
Me:  "oh ya, what is it?"
Natali:  "It's Mothers Day (without taking a breath) and aren't you going to get up and make us some special cinnamon rolls on this special day."

Yeah my kids didn't get the memo that mother's day is suppose to be a break for me, especially as I dragged Spencer out of sacrament meeting crying.  But I knew that when signed up to be a mom.  It was no longer about me!    I love these three kids.  There is no greater blessing, privillege, or reward that I have experienced than being a mother.

I don't ever remember thinking that motherhood was suppose to be easy or that I wouldn't want to run away from my kids screaming sometimes.  But I had NO idea somedays would be, well, HARD!  REALLY HARD.  I've read this quote before, but the last time I read it it really hit me hard.  I felt like it really applied to me, not just overall life...but especially this role of mother.

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around and shouting that he has been robbed. The fact of the matter is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."  -President Hinckley

I feel blessed to be able to be a mom.  I am grateful for my mom and the wonderful women in my life who contiune to shape and influence me and my children.  I am working harder each day to enjoy the small moments, savor each peanut butter handed hug, and very sloppy kisses.  They sure can make a mess but they can make me feel very special too!  I love them.  Crazy hats and all!



4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I just love that quote. Thank you for sharing...it's going to be printed and put somewhere I can read it often.

Hope you had a wonderful day...even if you didn't get a break. You must make some pretty incredible cinnamon rolls! :)

sarita said...

I love the cinnamon roll comment--remind her of that when she is a mother someday!

I loved the picture of all three of them in the backyard--so cute!

I still need your mailing address!

The Jones Fam said...

I love that last picture of your kids in the hat! They look like they are such good friends. And Natali's comment is classic! Love it! Thanks for sharing the quote too...I might have gotten goose bumps when I read it! Happy mother's day to one of my favorite moms!
-Nat

Julianne said...

I love that photo of you with your kids at the top? Who takes those picture for you? Is that a professional? Is it Ben? How did you get that??? (I don't have ONE of those... a little jealous over here) :)