Sunday, May 23, 2010

Church Sites

Friday morning we loaded the car with kids, snacks, movies, and head south to Missouri.  First on site to see was Adam-ondi-ahman.  It was beautiful.  Actually the whole drive was beautiful.  No wonder the early saints tried to settle here.  It was lush and green everywhere with little streams and rivers.


(Looking down onto the valley.)


(Not the best family picture but it works.)

(The kids loved exploring and just being out of the car in general!)

(How big's SPENCER...so BIG!)


(Enjoying a picnic lunch)

Next on our adventure was going to Far West to see the temple site.  At most of these sites we were the only ones there.  It was very peaceful.  I loved driving through the little towns and going down the back country roads.

(Natali looking at one of the four corner stones.)


(One of the corner stones now in cement.)




Next we went to Braymer, MO.  It was about 30 min east of Far West.  Ben had some ancestors who were buried there.  We found the town cemetery and eventually found the head stone of John Fluhman.  It was a very unique experience.



Our last stop was Independence.  We walked through the visitor center and got the whole tour.  I do have to say that the RLDS building across the street is well, different.  After Independence we stopped in Liberty for some great BBQ.  By the time we finished it was late and we knew we would be getting home close to 10pm already.  So we decided to for go stopping by Liberty Jail and figured we would see it on our way down to Texas in TWO WEEKS!    

I am so glad we decided to do this mini road trip.  It was a great experience and I am glad I saw these places before we left.

3 comments:

shauni said...

You guys are so adventurous! Yeah for church history sites, I think it's awesome that there are so many around here. And I think it's even more awesome that we are DAYS away from graduations and only weeks away from Texas. AHH YEAH.

The Jones Fam said...

Wow, I am sooo homesick for the midwest right now! I am so glad you got to see those amazing church sites!
AND Chicago with girls and no kids!! That's just dreamy! Way to live it up!
-nat

The Jones Fam said...

I was just going to leave almost the exact same comment as Natalie did- minus the part about Chicago with girls and no kids. (sounds lame to me :) She beat me to the punch. Such a special place. We miss it like crazy. Be sure to stop at Liberty Jail on your way to Texas. That one is in my top 3 of Church history sites. There is such an amazing spirit there.

Jake