Over Mother's Day weekend I got the BEST gift ever. A weekend getaway to Chicago with out my kids! What's the big deal you ask? I have NEVER left my kids overnight since having Natali. That's 5 years! I was EXCITED. I dreamed of roaming the streets, eating out at restaurants I would never dream of taking kids to, sleeping in, and not worrying about diapers, snacks, naps, or tantrums. I have to say that the trip lived up to ALL of my expectations and more. (very very long post documenting many details)
DAY 1:
Friday morning a bunch of us girls jumped in the minivan, hit the road, and arrived in The Windy City a short 5 hours later. (Can I just say how fast those 5 hours went with out having to listen to whining, kid songs, and Disney movies)
We checked into our hotel and made our first stop at a Pizza place. Pizzeria Uno. The BEST pizza I have ever had! I have been craving it ever since.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Hello CHICAGO...I love you!
(four cheese & pesto pizza)
(Kelly, Shauni, Me, Mandy, Melanie, Chrissy)
Next, we did some serious shopping on Michigan Ave. We hit so many stores...MAC, H&M, Crate & Barrel, American Girl, Disney Store, GAP, and more. It was AMAZING. So many shops, so little money!
American Girl Store
After shopping & eating at the Cheesecake Factory some of us headed up to see the view from the top of the Hancock Building. It was AMAZING! It was very peaceful. The chaos from the streets seemed so organized from that perspective. It was a little creepy that you could feel the building swaying. It seemed like we were as high as the clouds!!
(You can't have a girls trip without cheesy photos...I love Shuani's face!)
DAY 2:
We slept in, got ready, and ate breakfast at our leisure. We started the day heading off to Millennium Park to see some of the "outside art".
(I loved the architecture of all the buildings. They were so unique and beautiful.)
Then, we went into the Art Institute of Chicago. I could have stayed there all day. It was AMAZING to see some of the art that I had studied back in my college days. Art is amazing, it speaks to each person so individually.
(Inspired in Iowa...we have actually visited this farm house in Eldon, IA)
(I could have stared at this all day long, it was breath taking!)
The place was SO big we couldn't see all of it.
We did see some Pollocks, Van Gogh, O' Keefe, Seurat, Monet, Mattise, and Degas to name a few.
By this time we were starving again. We took a walk to a place called Ed Debevicks. Good food & rude waiters. It was fun.
(I couldn't resist...can you see the crazy McD's in the background?)
Despite the wind & cold we head down to the water to check out Navy Pier. I can see why this place would be such a hit during the warm summer months.
(That's for you Ben)
After freezing on the Pier we took a taxi back to the hotel and headed to the Melting Pot for dinner. I was so grateful we all LIVED through the taxi cab ride. The guy was CRAZY. He kept driving while in both lanes and kept yelling that everyone else was the crazy drivers. I think I held Shauni's hand the whole ride :) The Melting Pot was HEAVENLY. Seriously some the best food ever. Who doesn't like melted cheese, and dipping all forms of dessert into hot gooey chocolate? Yep, it was good!
DAY 3:
Once again we slept in, ate breakfast, and got ready. We called down to the desk to say we were ready to check out. They said everything was set and that they would notify the valet to bring the car around. Seriously? I could get use to life like that! To finish the trip off we stopped by Wrigley Field. It's crazy how it is in the middle of a residential area. It would have been fun to go to a game, but they were out of town. Go Cubs!
It was a great trip. I hope I don't have to wait another 5 years to have one. It was simply rejuvenating. I need it. Thanks Ben for taking care of the monkeys while I was gone! Thanks girls for the great memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! for a break and a little mini-vaca WITHOUT kids! You deserve it!! I'm so glad you got to go before leaving DSM! It looks like you covered a lot of ground while you were there! SO FUN!
I'm so glad you got away without kids after 5 YEARS! Easton's 15 months old and I'm dying for a night or two without them....it's going to happen sooner than later that's for sure! What a fun girls trip!
Yeah for you!! After a long four years I do believe you deserved that trip!!
Becca-
Thanks a billion for planning such a fabulous trip! I loved every second, and to be honest would drive five more hours for another slice of that amazing pizza! You should come back next Spring and we will do it all again!
I LOVE your blog post, it is so much more descriptive and thorough than mine. I also LOVE that you included the Red Headed Piano Bar picture, I LOVE it. (and if you notice I obediently left it off of my blog post. Thank you for all your hard work and for planning such a FABULOUS trip.
Thank you for taking a picture of the pizza!! I love people who take pictures of their food, just like me!
And I love how you documented everything--it was the next best thing to being there!
What a FANTASTIC gift!!! I love Chicago. My sister used to live there so we've gone a few times and it is one of the funnest cities to visit. Glad you had such a great time!
What a fantastic gift!!! Every mom deserves a break once in a while!!! Way to go Ben!!!
I LOVE Chicago too. We went when I was pregnant with the twins. Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back! And I love that Georges Seurat painting and I too stared at it forever.
SO SO SO SO SO FUN!!! I'm so happy that you got to do that!! Yeah!!! Let's catch up soon!
Post a Comment