Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gettysburg, PA




In an unforgettable afternoon which was the SECOND best way to spend father's day, I embarked on a two-hour journey to Gettysburg. I expected the trip would appease the history buff in me, but I was shocked at how beautiful the area is as well. It has rained quite a bit in Pennsylvania this spring, so everything is intensely green and overgrown. To make matters even better, although it was extremely crowded at the park, there was a general feeling of reverence and courtesy. The best part was not having to fight off intense tour guides at every stop and memorial. I bought an audio tour CD and enjoyed the luxurious confines of my Ford Taurus. It's incredibly ironic that I could spend such a serene and spiritual few hours in a locale known for being the bloodiest and most violent battle site of the Civil War. Thank heaven for unselfish men who sacrificed everything to fight for their families, their country, and their morals. Each American should be required to make a pilgrimage to Gettysburg in their lifetime.




This is the national cemetery in Gettysburg. Lincoln's Gettysburg address was given to dedicate this spot four months after the battle.



This is the monument for the troops from PA who fought in the war.


Little Round Top: the turning point of the Battle of Gettysburg. This pic doesn't even come close to doing it justice.


The Wheatfield: the site of the most violent fighting. Ironically a VERY peaceful and beautiful stop on the tour. Again, this pic doesn't do it justice.
Another shot of a main battle field...Difficult to imagine over 160,000 soldiers strategically amassed to annihilate each other.

2 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Absolutely amazing! Like I said before, it seems like a very appropriate place to spend father's day (if you couldn't be with us). The pictures are beautiful, but I'm sure it was better being there. We'll have to go back.

Petersen Family said...

If you couldn't be with your cute family, Gettysburg does seem like a great place for you to be! Fun pictures...I've been there before and know what you're saying about the peace and reverence there. It's so fun to walk in the places that helped mold our country into what it is today.