For awhile now sweet Grandpa Hayes's health has been declining. May 28th we got the phone call that Grandpa had passed. That night we booked a flight for Ben to go back. We crunched numbers, tried to figure out time off, gas prices, in the end we knew there was no way the whole family could go. I was slightly devastated. I cried, I was mad, I wanted to be back with the family. To feel that power and support that comes with being with around those who you love. The next day I called to relay Ben's flight info. A few hours after that I got a phone call back. It was Ben's dad. We were ALL expected to get on a plane the next day. I was more than happy to oblige. So the next Ben left early on his flight and the kids and I followed later that afternoon on ours.
Thursday, July 05, 2012
The Hokey Pokey...it's what it's all about
Overall the travel part went well. We made it to Utah with most of my sanity intact.
The funeral happened Saturday. It was beautiful. The chapel was reserved for just kids and grandkids. The entire chapel was full! It was an overwhelming feeling to look around and realize ALL these people were here because of Grandpa & Grandma Hayes. The night of the viewing we were walking into the mortuary and it was LOUD. There was a buzz. We walked into the room and it was full of Aunts & Uncles and cousins talking and laughing. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't irreverent...it was full of a wonderful happy noise. We were celebrating Grandpa.
Tears were shed. It was a beautiful, beautiful service. Later that week I went up to Grandma Hayes's with the kids to visit. She wanted me to take something of Grandpa's home to Ben (since had to leave earlier than us). It was tender to hear her talk about Grandpa and find hankies in his pant pockets together. It was a precious time to be together as family. Thank you Grandpa!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I am so, so glad you were all able to go! What a special experience!
Post a Comment